HEP922 – 8.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Infrastructure Training & Safety Institute
OSHA Training Institute Education Center at (800) 723-3811 or (800) SAFE-811 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
The Backhoe Heavy Equipment Proficiency Evaluation provides industry professionals and employers with the ability to properly document operator skill levels. During the evaluation process, TEEX Heavy Equipment Program personnel provide an overview of all equipment use expectations and those criteria to be used during the formal check of skill level and proficiency. Prior to the demonstration of proficiency by the operator, each is administered a pre-test to document knowledge of basic operational techniques and safety processes required to properly operate the equipment. Once the testing phase has been successfully completed, operators are evaluated utilizing a standardized checklist unique to the specific heavy equipment being utilized. Upon successful completion of the evaluation, each operator receives a final determination of proficiency presented to the host administrator documenting each operator’s level of skill on the designated piece of equipment.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
In order to fully comply with safety measures specific to the operation of heavy equipment, operators are required to wear all associated personal protective equipment during the evaluation process.
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Conduct backhoe pre-operation Inspection
- Start and shut down backhoe according to manufacturer’s specifications
- Manipulate the backhoe using only the backhoe arm for forward movement
- reverse movement
- and pivot laterally
- Pivot machine from side to side
- Excavate flat bottom trenches
- slope trenches
- and benched sidewall trenches
- Back fill trenches using loader bucket and backhoe while following safety guidelines
- Load with backhoe bucket
- Grade an area with the loader bucket full allowing highs to be cut and lows to be filled
- Load backhoe on haul unit
- Push backhoe with the loader bucket in case of being temporarily stuck
- Perform advanced operational tasks (if applicable)
Heavy equipment operators employed by state and local authorities who require formal proficiency and evaluation of all operational skills associated with assigned use of equipment.