OSH722 – 8.00 Hours
Live Online Instructor-Led Training
08:00 AM Friday, June 18, 2021
Central Daylight Time (CDT)
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 723-3811 or (800) SAFE-811 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
The Transitioning to Safer Chemical course covers a proactive approach to reducing the use of hazardous chemicals in the workplace by transitioning to safer alternatives. Course topics include identification, evaluation, assessment, and implementation of safer chemical alternatives. In particular, participants will use OSHA’s seven-step substitution planning process. The course features workshops and hands-on activities with the use of various online chemical databases and tools. The target audience is purchasing staff, maintenance supervisors, facility managers, and workers who utilize hazardous chemicals at their work sites, along with occupational safety and health professionals who provide technical assistance on the control of chemical hazards. Upon course completion participants will have the ability to recognize and evaluate hazardous chemicals in their workplace, assess safer alternatives, and implement those alternatives.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Online databases and tools require participants to have internet access and computer (per OSHA).
- Participants are expected to attend 100% of the course in which they are enrolled before a certificate of successful completion can be issued.
- If an extenuating circumstance arises in which a participant is unable to attend 100% of class, the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form prior to their leaving the classroom. If the extenuating circumstance arises during non-class hours, then the participant must get with the instructor to complete the Participant Makeup Time Request form when they return to the class. If the participant is unable to return to class, they must still contact the instructor for the required processing.
- If the instructor approves an absence and the absence time is less than 20% of the class time, the instructor can assign makeup work for equivalent time missed.
- All assigned makeup work must be documented, checked by the instructor and returned with class materials to be maintained in the class record as required by OSHA and TEEX.
- For all other approved absences, participants must enroll through TEEX Registration to retake the course within the OSHA required six-month time frame.
- Unexcused absences require participants to register/pay/attend the class again at another time.
- Introduction: Why Transition to Safer Chemicals?
- Building a Team and Creating a Plan
- Examining Current Chemical Use
- Identifying Alternatives
- Assessing and Comparing Alternatives
- Selecting Safer Alternatives
- Implementing Alternatives
The target audience is purchasing staff, maintenance supervisors, facility managers, and workers who utilize hazardous chemicals at their work sites, along with occupational safety and health professionals who provide technical assistance on the control of chemical hazards. This course is ideal for companies who would like to obtain information and understand the process for transitioning to safer chemicals.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- 0.80 CEUs