9P2731 – 32.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
The Instructor-Led Training (ILT) Heavy Equipment and Rigging Specialist (HERS) course is designed to provide Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) Task Force personnel with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the HERS function. Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to successfully perform the position of HERS on a US&R team.
ILT HERS course is 32 hour of face-to-face training. Prior to attending this face-to-face training course, students must successfully complete the Computer-Based Training (CBT) component of the HERS course (Course Code: 9P2730) that is approximately six hours. The CBT component of this course is hosted for free by TEEX.
Each student must successfully complete the CBT component of the Heavy Equipment and Rigging Specialist (Course Code: 9P2730) via the TEEX eCampus Learning Management System prior to attending this three day instructor-led practical exercise driven portion of the course.
Members of FEMA US&R Task Forces should complete the exact same CBT course (Course Code: 9P2730) at www.esf9training.org which is a Learning Management System created by TEEX for the FEMA National US&R Response System. This Learning Management System was specifically designed for US&R Task Forces to automatically track all of their training certificates, qualifications, expirations, and personnel deployability.
Course Completion Requirements
Students must have experience in one of the following:
- Have experience in a heavy construction field, such as heavy equipment operator, crane operator, iron worker, rigger, or other applicable field
- Have a minimum of three years’ experience as a Rescue Specialist on a Task Force
Bring to class
Each student must bring the following items:
- Task Force BDU Uniforms/T-shirts for all class days.
- Tape Measure (minimum of 25 foot)
- Soapstone (for marking steel)
- Air-Purifying Respirator (APR) with N-95 or P-100 cartridge
- Field notebook (write-in-the-rain) and writing utensil
- FEMA US&R Field Operations Guide
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Review of the HERS Computer-Based Training (CBT) Component
- Basic Crane, Rigging, and Torch Exercises
- Metal Cutting, Tiebacks, and Hinged / Attached Loads
- Advanced Crane, Rigging, and Torch Operations
- Cumulative Exercise
TEEX is the National Contract Training Provider for the FEMA National Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) System and this course was developed under contract for US&R personnel. This ILT course is the same curriculum and instructors utilized for courses taught to the FEMA National US&R System.
TEEX has provided training to National US&R and SUSAR task forces since 1998. Your department can be confident that training will meet credentialing and validation requirements. TEEX adheres to all of the requirements set forth by the FEMA US&R Program Office.