DOP100 – 64.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This course is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge for Driver/Operator-Pumper as described in Chapters 4 and 5 of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1002, Standard for Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator Professional Qualifications.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to operate a fire department pumper during emergency situations. The course is designed around classroom lectures and field evolutions covering such activities as relay pumping, drafting, foam operations, apparatus maintenance, and driving.
Upon completion of this course you are eligible to take the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board) written exam and skills testing. Participants that receive a Pro Board certification are eligible for certification through Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) through reciprocity. In addition, participants can apply for certification through State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association (SFFMA).
Pricing Information: Employees or members of a Fire Department or Agency that is a political subdivision of, or component thereof, the State of Texas are eligible to receive tuition credit from TEEX based on subsidized funding from the State of Texas for this class.
Cost: $1,100.00/student for Texas Firefighters, departments or agencies
Standard Cost: $2,200.00/student
Participants are required to present a valid Class C (passenger) driver’s license to the instructor on the first day of class. Participants that do not have a valid driver’s license will not be allowed to remain in the class.
Pro Board Certification Requirements
Participants pursuing Pro Board certification must provide proof of NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 dated prior to the last day of class. The documentation must meet the certification office requirements.
TCFP Certification Requirements
TCFP testing is not completed during this course. Participants that would like to earn their TCFP certification can submit their Pro Board certification to the Commission for reciprocity.
Participants that successfully complete this course, can submit their TEEX certificate of completion, along with SFFMA certification application, to the SFFMA office for processing.
Course Completion Requirements
Course Attire/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For classroom activities, participants must wear full length pants, closed-toe shoes, and short sleeve/ long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts). It is preferred that participants wear duty uniform or business casual dress.
- For field exercises, participants must provide National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971 compliant PPE that meets the Level 2 requirements in the ESTI Student Safety Manual. Any gear found to be unsafe or not NFPA compliant will not be allowed on the field. The PPE includes: safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, and safety-toed boots.
Pro Board Certification Testing
Participants are required to provide a photo ID at time of Pro Board testing.
Participant Must Provide
- Textbook: IFSTA, Pumping Apparatus Driver/Operator Handbook, 3rd edition
- Basic Calculator (independent of your phone)
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend 100% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion and to sit for the Pro Board certification exam.
- Apparatus inspections/maintenance
- Driving practices
- Fire service hydraulics
- Pump operations
- Pump operations using foam
- Pump operations/hydraulics
- Pump terminology
- Pump theory
- Relief valves/pressure governors/primers
- Types of gauges
- Water supplies
- Military and Department of Defense (DoD) Firefighters
- Municipal Firefighters
- Industrial Firefighters
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- Pro Board
- State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)