FSA114 – 40.00 Hours
|LS FSA114 114||$95.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
From the moment a human body is discovered, there are many potential causes, factors, and circumstances that must be considered in completing a thorough criminal investigation and potential prosecution. This online course addresses the procedures for conducting investigations of various types of human death and the investigator’s role throughout the investigative process.
This course meets the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Death Investigation Course #40059.
- “I was recently promoted to investigations and this course will definitely make me more capable of doing my job.“
- “Course material was good and I would really recommend this course to any police officers whether they are new officers or veterans.“
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
- The mandatory completion/duration period for this eCourse is 90 days from the registration date.
- Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
To successfully complete this online course, you should have access to a computer with the following system requirements:
- Computer tower or laptop
- Note: The use of a tablet is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Broadband or high-speed internet connection
- Recommended: Wired connection with at least 2.0 Mbps bandwidth (bi-directional, i.e. sending and receiving)
- Alternative: Wireless (WiFi) connection
- Note: The use of a MiFi or mobile hotspot is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Current version of web browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 96 or higher, Google Chrome 97 or higher
- Alternative: Safari 15 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Edge is not currently a supported browser.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 17 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Autopsy, laboratory, and specialist capabilities
- Body of evidence
- Child death
- Death investigation procedures
- Decedents in a hospital setting
- Investigating specific types of death
- Medical examiner and coroner systems
- Stress management
- Time of death estimation and post-mortem processes
- Types of trauma
- Law enforcement and non-commissioned personnel assigned to investigative tasks and duties such as crime scene investigators, fire investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators, patrol officers, corrections officers and forensic nurses
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- 40.00 hours – Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA)
- 40.00 hours – Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- 3.00 hours – ACE American Council on Education (ACE)
- After registering online for this course, you will receive an email with instructions for getting started. If you do not receive a confirmation within one hour, please contact us at (979) 845-6677 or [email protected]
- This course is Pre-Certified for Online Training by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy (ILEA), 35-6000-158-103 (T1-06.02.06.PCOT.010). If completing this course for ILEA credit please complete this Pre-Certification of Online Training form.
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]