HAZ014 – 16.00 Hours
TEEX-Brayton Fire Field
1595 Nuclear Science Road
College Station, TX 77843
08:00 AM Tuesday, October 19, 2021
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (866) 878-8900 or email@example.com to get the latest schedule.
This course utilizes both classroom lecture and field exercises to meet or exceed the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1072 Hazardous Materials / WMD Emergency Response Personnel Professional Qualifications Chapter 5, “Operations” and Chapter 6.2, “Personal Protective Equipment,” and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 (q)(6)(ii) for Operations-level personnel.
Upon completion of this course you are eligible to take the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board) written exam and skills testing.
Pro Board Certification Requirements
Participants pursuing Pro Board certification must provide proof of NFPA 1072 Awareness or NFPA 472 Competencies for Awareness Level Personnel (2002, 2008, or 2013 editions) dated prior to the last day of class. The documentation must meet the certification office requirements.
Course Completion Requirements
Course Attire/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For field exercise, participants must provide National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971 compliant PPE that meets the Level 2 requirements in the ESTI Student Safety Manual. Any gear found to be unsafe or not NFPA compliant will not be allowed on the field. The PPE includes: safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, and safety-toed boots.
- Participants are required to participate in hands-on activities utilizing Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and therefore must be clean shaven while attending class. Facial hair must not be present where the SCBA mask seal contacts the skin. Mustaches and normal sideburns are permitted.
- For classroom activities, participants must wear full length pants, closed-toe shoes, and short sleeve / long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts).
Pro Board Certification Testing
Participants are required to provide a photo ID at time of Pro Board testing.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend 100% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion and to sit for the Pro Board certification exam.
Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, participants should secure a professional evaluation of their physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
- Analyze the incident
- Detect the presence of Hazardous Materials (HazMat)/Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- Determine scope of the problem
- Determine potential outcomes
- Plan a response
- Capabilities of Operations-level personnel
- PPE/Identifying/Donning/Doffing/Working in/Hazards
- Implement the response
- Establish Control Zones/Emergency Decontamination/Communications
- Implement protective actions
- Perform operations level tasks
- Evaluate Progress
- Communicate Status
Personnel who respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials/weapons of mass destruction for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, the environment, or property from the effects of the release.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- 1.60 CEUs
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- Pro Board
Class Location and Travel Information
For responders in the state of Texas, this course is also available at no cost through the Texas Division of Emergency Management.
- Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits® For information contact Veteranservices@teex.tamu.edu or call (877) 833-9638
HazMat Training Manager
Phone: (979) 458-3640 | Toll-Free: (979) 458-4368
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-2130
- Purchase Order – Complete online registration and send a copy of PO documentation within 48 hours to Cynthia.Ford@teex.tamu.edu.