HAZ025 – 80.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
This course meets or exceeds the qualifications for National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1072 Standard for Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Emergency Response Personnel Professional Qualifications Chapter 7, “Hazardous Materials Technicians,” and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1910.120 (q)(6)(iii) for Technician-level personnel.
This course is designed to provide you with the basic skill set needed to satisfy the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) minimum requirements for a State Certified Hazardous Material Technician. All Skills Testing is conducted during the second week of training. After completion of the class, you will need to contact TCFP to schedule written testing.
TCFP Certification Requirements
Participants must be certified through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) as a Fire Fighter (Basic) to be eligible to take the Commission HazMat Technician exam.
Course Completion Requirements
Course Attire/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- For field exercise, participants must provide National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1971 compliant PPE that meets the Level 2 requirements in the ESTI Student Safety Manual. Any gear found to be unsafe or not NFPA compliant will not be allowed on the field. The PPE includes: safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, and safety-toed boots.
- Participants are required to participate in hands-on activities utilizing Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and therefore must be clean shaven while attending class. Facial hair must not be present where the SCBA mask seal contacts the skin. Mustaches and normal sideburns are permitted.
- For classroom activities, participants must wear full length pants, closed-toe shoes, and short sleeve / long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts).
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. This course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirements, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, participants should secure a professional evaluation of their physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
- Analyze the incident
- Collect and interpret hazard and response information
- Determine scope of the problem
- Describe type and extent of damage to containers
- Predict the behavior of released materials and containers
- Estimate the size of endangered area
- Plan a response
- Describe response objectives and options
- Select Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for action options
- Select technical decontamination process
- Develop a site safety plan
- Implement the response
- Perform duties of Hazmat position within Incident Command Systems (ICS)
- Don, doff, and work in Technician-level PPE
- Perform Offensive control options
- Perform decon functions
- Evaluate effectiveness of control functions
- Evaluate effectiveness of decon
- Terminating the Incident
- Incident debrief and critique
- Reports and documentation
- A, B, & C Chlorine Kits
- MC306/406 Dome Clamp with Grounding and Bonding
- Level A Dress out with Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Drum leak repair and overpacking
- Instrumentation laboratory
TCFP Certified Fire Fighters interested in receiving Hazardous Material (HazMat) Technician certification from TCFP.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- Texas Commission of Fire Protection (TCFP)
Class Location and Travel Information
For responders in the state of Texas, this course is also available at no cost through the Texas Division of Emergency Management
HazMat Training Manager
Phone: (979) 458-3640 | Toll-Free: (979) 458-4368
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-2130
- Purchase Order – Complete online registration and send a copy of PO documentation within 48 hours to Cynthia.Ford@teex.tamu.edu.