LET570 – 40.00 Hours
|Details||06/05/23 – 06/09/23||Hidalgo, TX||LS LET570 72||$650.00||Register|
|Details||09/11/23 – 09/15/23||Cleburne, TX||LS LET570 74||$650.00||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
The goal of all police work is to protect the lives, property, safety, and well-being of the public. Traffic law enforcement is no exception. Research shows that excessive speed is a major contributing factor to motor vehicle crashes. Further, excessive speed increases the severity of the crashes that do occur.
RADAR is an important and effective means of accurately establishing vehicle speed. In recent decades, RADAR technology has been advanced significantly. Its cost-effectiveness has continued to improve as well. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) believes that police traffic RADAR is an effective enforcement tool. Police traffic RADAR provides a means of increasing enforcement effectiveness and permits police administrators to make better use of scarce personnel and costly fuel.
The overall goal of this course is to improve the effectiveness of speed enforcement through the proper and efficient use of police traffic RADAR speed measurement instruments. Every officer who successfully completed this course will become a better instructor and enforcer of the traffic laws governing vehicle speed.
This course meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements RADAR Course #2054.
Participants enrolling in this course must complete the following course prior to attendance:
- Basic Instructor Development (TCOLE #1014) or a course equivalent
Please send proof of course completion via email to [email protected] at least two weeks prior to class start date.
Participants will be contacted via email to confirm approval and admittance into course.
Course Completion Requirements
Participant Must Provide
- A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
- RADAR/LIDAR device(s) issued by sponsoring agency
- RADAR/LIDAR operator manual for device(s) issued by sponsoring agency
- Oscillating tuning forks
- Department issued patrol vehicle
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Background in the operation of Doppler RADAR as it applies to speed enforcement
- Familiarity with set up, testing and operation of all RADAR instruments in which training is to be provided
- Familiarity with State and local laws, court rulings, regulations, policies and procedures affecting speed enforcement and RADAR speed measurement
- Background in conducting training for a police environment
- Speed and Traffic Safety
- Basic Principles of RADAR Speed Management
- Principles of LIDAR Speed Management
- Legal and Operational Considerations
- Field Testing of RADAR/LIDAR
- Policy Creation & Debriefing
- Moot Court
- Police officers, city, county, state, federal, military, and provost marshals who know how to use Doppler RADAR/LIDAR, and have some background in delivering instruction for training purposes.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- Certificate of successful completion valid five years from date of completion.
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]
- Credit Card – Complete online registration or call (979) 845-6677
- Purchase Order – Complete registration form and send to [email protected] or fax to (877) 289-9715
- Check – Complete registration form and mail to: TEEX – ILEPSE, P.O. Box 40006, College Station, TX 77842