FIV157 – 48.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This online course prepares participants for their transition from a traditional patrol/traffic function to an investigative position, such as a detective. The Basic Criminal Investigation course is also appropriate for those agencies that require officers to perform both patrol and investigative functions. From the initial response to case prosecution, officers will learn how to manage a wide variety of common criminal investigations. Emphasis is placed on preparation of affidavits, procurement and execution of search and arrest warrants, interview and interrogation procedures, and rules governing the collection and preservation of evidence. Additionally, participants will learn case preparation techniques and unique aspects of special topic investigations, such as narcotics, property crimes, and crimes against persons.
This course, which meets Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) requirements Texas Forensic Science Academy Basic Criminal Investigation Course #40051, is for Blinn College students participating in the Collegiate Technical Investigation Skills Program (CTISP) of TEEX’s Texas Forensic Science Academy.
- Participant must be admitted into CTISP of the TEEX Texas Forensic Science Academy
- Participant must be admitted into Blinn College
- Successfully pass a Federal Criminal History Background Check
- Participant must be at least 18 years of age before the CTISP end date
Course Completion Requirements
- Participants will have three attempts to pass the final examination.
- To complete this course, you are required to have a computer with internet access.
Online Course Technical Requirements
To successfully complete this online course, you should have access to a computer with the following system requirements:
- Computer tower or laptop
- Note: The use of a tablet is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Broadband or high-speed internet connection
- Recommended: Wired connection with at least 2.0 Mbps bandwidth (bi-directional, i.e. sending and receiving)
- Alternative: Wireless (WiFi) connection
- Note: The use of a MiFi or mobile hotspot is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Current version of web browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 96 or higher, Google Chrome 97 or higher
- Alternative: Safari 15 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Edge is not currently a supported browser.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 17 or higher
To meet attendance requirements, participants must review each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam.
- Crime scene investigation
- Developing investigative leads
- Subpoenas, warrants and search warrants
- Case preparation
- Procedures for investigating specific crimes
- Collegiate students seeking technical training to prepare them for employment requiring investigative skills such as crime scene investigators, fire investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators, patrol officers and forensic nurses.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- 40.00 hours – Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- Course enrollment for CTISP is through Blinn College. Please contact Robert Stanberry at (979) 209-7399 or [email protected]
Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]
- Course fees and enrollment for CTISP is handled through Blinn College. Please contact Robert Stanberry at (979) 209-7399 or [email protected]