NFA096 – 16.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This course is designed to develop the managerial, administrative, and leadership skills necessary for the first time fire chief and chief officer who desire a leadership position in their department. This course addresses critical knowledge and skills pertaining to the responsibilities of a fire chief including such topics as local politics and the role of the chief officer, liability and risk management, resources and items of knowledge needed to become a first time leader in a new position in their agency.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Course Completion Requirements
Participants Must Provide
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
To meet NFA attendance requirements, participants must complete each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam. Exceptions may be discussed with lead instructor.
- Responsibilities of the Fire Chief
- Liability/Risk Management
The class is intended primarily for those who have served or will begin to serve soon in leadership positions and who seek to learn more effective ways of managing and leading their agency. The primary audience for this course include
- new or emerging chief officers in a volunteer or combination fire department or emergency service organization.
- person who is a new career chief, department leader or emerging leader of fire department or emergency service organization
This course is open to all interested emergency services personnel including volunteer, career, and allied professionals.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)
- State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
To request this class in your jurisdiction or department, please use the Emergency Services Training Institute (ESTI) Extension Course Request Form.
To request admission to an already-scheduled course, call the contact person listed in this course schedule. This will allow the course host to provide appropriate numbers of participant manuals.