NFA113 – 40.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
This 40 hour course is the combination of the three two-day courses within the Leadership Series: Creating Environments for Professional Growth, Perspectives in Thinking, and Frameworks to Success.
This series presents the fire and emergency medical (EMS) supervisor with the basic leadership skills and tools needed to perform effectively in the fire and EMS environment, to successfully transition to supervisory and leadership roles, and establish a conceptual foundation and framework for success in leadership roles by exploring creative, analytical, political and critical thinking perspectives.
The course includes the development of a personal plan for active involvement in the provision of leadership in supervision.
This course meets the requirements of the Managing Officer Program for completion of Leadership I, II and III.
Incident Command System (ICS)-100-level and ICS-200-level training. Preferred (not required) courses are Q0462
and Q0463, available through NFA Online
Course Completion Requirements
Participants Must Provide
- a photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
To meet NFA attendance requirements, participants must complete each training module and complete all required course assignments, activities, quizzes, and/or end of course exam. Exceptions may be discussed with lead instructor.
Upon successful completion, you will be able to:
- Adaptive leadership
- Change management
- Active followership
- Effective communication including difficult conversations
- Advocacy-inquiry based dialogue and persuasion
- Ethics, authority, and power
- Decision-making assessing situations from multiple perspectives
- Fostering creativity and innovation
- Professionalism, resilience, emotional intelligence
- Situational awareness
- Managing conflict
- Delegating, mentoring, coaching
- Building collaboration and synergy for professional growth
The primary target audience is those individuals who are at the first level of supervision. First line level is considered to be those at the Company Officer or Unit (fire prevention, fire education, communications, EMS, etc.) Supervisor level.
- First line supervisors in fire and emergency medical services organizations.
- Fire and emergency medical services personnel due for promotion/appointment to a first line supervisory position within 18 months.
- Fire and emergency medical services personnel who are regularly assigned acting supervisory positions.
The secondary target audiences are fire and EMS personnel at the first line management level (Chief Officer or above).
Fire and EMS personnel currently enrolled in the National Fire Academy Managing Officer Program will be provided priority selection.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- 40.00 hours – State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)
- 40.00 hours – Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP)
Annual Fire Training School Information
If you are attending this course as part of TEEX’s Texas Annual Fire Training School, you need to be aware of the following additional information:
Annual Fire Training School Registration Requirements
Annual Schools require that you use the online registration system. If you are using a Purchase Order (including H.B. 2604 voucher) please place the number in the PO field for payment. Please know we must have a copy of the PO or voucher within 48 hours of your registration or you will be canceled out of the class.
Annual Fire Training School Late Registration
The full rate will be applied after the early-bird registration deadline.
Annual Fire Training School Contact Information
If you have any questions about Annual Schools, call (866) 878-8900 or email [email protected].