XTN089 – 4.00 Hours
Currently there are no scheduled classes for this course. However, in some cases a course can be scheduled to meet your organization’s specific needs. For more information about this course or to schedule a class, please contact Emergency Services Training Institute at (866) 878-8900 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the latest schedule.
Wildland Fire Assessment Program (WFAP) is a four-hour course. The course provides attendees an overview of the problems and issues that fire departments face in the WUI environment, basic concepts of defensible space, considerations in completing basic home risk assessments and available resources to the fire department. WFAP was developed by the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) as a national program. Due to critical specific wildland fire issues facing Texas and resources only available in Texas, Texas Forest Service (TFS) modified the national WFAP to create a Texas version of WFAP. The Texas version of WFAP includes information on the Texas Wildfire Risk Assessment Portal, Texas Community Protection Plans methods and practices and historical wildfires in Texas. Target audience is paid, combination, volunteer fire departments, and other public safety organizations protecting citizens within the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI).
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirements.
- Identify existing resource material for wildland fire pre-planning,
- Develop training materials and delivery system(s) designed to be accessible to paid, volunteer and combination fire departments,
- Train firefighters or department personnel in high-risk areas prone to wildland fire to conduct wildland fire pre-planning in their communities and develop a tracking mechanism to enable data collection and statistical analysis regarding the impact of assessments.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
- Texas Commission of Fire Protection (TCFP)
- State Firefighters’ and Fire Marshals’ Association of Texas (SFFMA)